Monday, January 31, 2011

Eggless Chocolate Mousse


I've always been scared to think about making chocolate mousse, or mousses in general. Their texture makes them seem so difficult to perfect at home. Everytime I looked up a recipe, it had "eggs" as a third ingredient  and that was exactly when I would stop reading & decide let me just order some when I'm out next..UNTIL I saw something on Hershey's website and couldn'tbelieve there was an alternative or better I say an Eggless way to make chocolate moussee..

For this you'll need semi-sweet chocolate chips (I accidently used the milk chocolate ones, but it doesn't matter), whipping cream and a tablespoon of butter (which you can do without).


I used one pack of chocolate chips & 10g of butter

Then,

Melt over a bain-marie*
 *Bain-Marie is basically a water bath, where you heat/melt things over (not in) simmering water. And if you are like me and do not own the proper piece of equipment, simply put a large bowl over your pan (and be careful!)

In the meantime, whip 2 & 1/2 or 3 cups of whipping cream until soft peaks are formed,
the recipe said to stop right before the peaks are formed - I didn't know when!
Gently fold in the cooled melted chocolate - add the chocolate in 2 batches

I had doubts at this point as well, but keep on folding the chocolate

when all the chocolate is added
And that's it! you can eat it right away or better to cool in the fridge before serving


I put it into wine glasses simply because it was like that in the picture


Conclusion:
- Mousses could be easy
- This took 20 minutes to make
- I recommend this for dinner parties as it is easy to make/serve/present
- I will make a triple chocolate mousse (dark/milk/white chocolate)
- Eggless mousse tastes better
- Never say never

Some gave a recipe of molten chocolate cupcake which somehow incorporated this mousse into the mix, that should be interesting to make..

If you are not a desserts person, you could start with this - it doesn't have much ingredients into it, no baking involved, no waiting time and if you don't succeed no one will know about it!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment