Thursday, January 20, 2011

Winter Food


The cold month, or should I say the cold week, usually introduces a number of hearty dishes. Soups, hot sauces, pasta, potatoes, casseroles & lots of them, beans, pies, etc...

Winter-warming cooking seems like the best option to celebrate the 14hrs of non-stop rain. I wanted pasta...cream..something I could see the smoke coming out from when serving and that is the perfect time to put cheese over it and enjoy the melted texture over the soft pasta...yummm That was it! to the kitchen I go!!

Since I'm still sticking to my promise of making dishes from cookbooks I had, dinner tonight was: Orzo with Bechamel.

Cook some minced lamb (500g) in a bit of chopped onions and garlic, season with salt & pepper and a lot of fresh mint (chopped). Add tomato paste and 4 cups of water, add the Orzo (2 cups) cover and leave to cook for about 20 minutes.

Now the fun wintry part, The Assembly. Pour the Orzo mix into the baking dish, make holes in hide Halloumi Cheese cubes inside, cover with the bechamel sauce and cook in the oven for 40 minutes.

And there you have it, (one of) the perfect rainy winter night at home dinner.



Good news, it looks exactly like the picture in the book :-)


If you have kids at home, they'll quickly become fans of this dish.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment