Tuesday, January 11, 2011

11.01.'11

During my last trip to Dubai, I stopped by Kinokuniya (a book store if you're wondering). With no reason or intention to buy anything, I left with 3 books one of which is BAKING one step at a time by Marianne Magnier-Moreno. What made me buy this without even thinking was the pictures. Every step in baking the 70+ recipes had a picture showing how it was done. I felt this was excellent, as one major issue I have with baking is that sometimes I'm not sure if the batter is supposed to look like this? or how is it cut? coloured? covered? and all...

To test the book, I made Brownies (something I never made before because I thought it was too complicated).

First the ingredients


Then the method

still mixing


I followed the steps very carefully, making sure everything I had looked exactly like the book. And being excited to make brownies for the first time, I went and bought the brownie slice pan which I thought was exellent. So how was the end result?



It's not as shiny and flakey as the picture and I couldn't leave it longer in the over because the inside was about to dry. But it looks good enough for me! and it tastes even better :-)


Conclusion, this book makes baking looks easy. I will still, however, try other recipes for making brownies (now that I have the pan!), I think I have 3 more recipes in other books. But this doesn't mean this one wasn't good, actually it was great!

I'm glad that I posted something on this date.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. I too look at cookbooks in that way but I love the pictures you take by the cookbooks :) I prefer cooking over baking, way too much measuring in baking. I like the "if it smells right" method. I hope you dont mind that when I make one of you dishes, I change it around just a little!! Thanks - Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ellie!I agree, I too prefer cooking to baking (baking is test of patience). Please feel free to make anything and amend if you feel it needs to :)

    ReplyDelete