Monday, January 17, 2011

Stuffed Basboosa

Basboosa is a traditional Middle Eastern dessert made with semolina and yogurt, then soaked in a rose water syrup. One of my all times favourite desserts to have. I love basboosa in all it forms (except the coconut version), I really do.

When I went to Egypt last month, I made sure that everywhere I went I tried thier basboosa, It was kind of my way to grading the cafe's/restaurants. I even brought some back home.

This recipe combines Basboosa and Baklava (sweet pastry made of layers of phyllo dough filled with chopped nuts and sweetened with syrup). I always looked at the picture in the book and thought to myself, this is good. And it really was...

First to make the stuffing mix together 1/2 cup or chopped walnuts, pistachio, almonds and 1/4 cup of brown sugar + 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Add to this 1/4 cup of syrup* & 1/4 cup of orange juice. a pinch of range zest is ok as well.


To make the dough, mix 3 1/2 cups of semolina, 230g of butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of baking powder.



Now, in the greased cake pan, put a layer of (1/2) the dough



Add a layer of the stuffing



Finally, top this with the remaining dough & bake on low for 45/50 minutes.

*To make the syrup, put 2 cups of sugar, 1 cup of water, 1/4 cup or orange juice and some orange zest in a saucepan over low heat until the sugar melts (don't let it boil)

50 minutes finallyyyy over, I take the cake pan out and cut it into diamonds. Immediately pour the syrup over the Basboosa while it's still hot.



when my mom saw this she said: you could've made the diamonds before baking. NOWWW you tell me!!
 You could of course decorate the final layer of dough with sliced almonds, or nuts in general.

This is the final result :)


not quite like the picture but good enough for me
When I tried it, I (for a second) wanted to have few pieces for dinner. Then I thought, if I'm skipping gym I should really behave when it comes to eating.

If I make this again, I'll use a smaller pan, I'll definitely decorate & cut before placing in the oven, and I'll make sure we have good made tea to go with it. I really hope you try this.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Took some to the office and it got approved. And a new piece of information: this is called Basma in the Levant region

    ReplyDelete